Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Fast Freezer Meals: 46 Delicious and Quick Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Recipes for Make-Ahead Meals That Will Save Your Time and Improve Your Health (Weight Loss Series Plan) ~ Annette Goodman


I love to cook, so when I come across a new cookbook I go through what it’s offering. Then I dive in to see if to try some of the recipes.
Now with this book, I haven’t done that yet … been a bit busy around her to even consider trying to cook a new recipe. (Blast town keeps FLOODING)

But Ms. Goodman has some yummy looking recipes in her freezer meals book. Personally, I love making meals in advance for those busy days … or in my case the “down days.” (Hey, I am human … not super-human Winking smile ) This makes it easy for my husband & sons to help out, even my sweet little granddaughter.

So, going though the recipes I am finding some recipes that I know my family would love … if they came out ok. (Yes, even this kitchen-wiz has had meals that just needed to be trashed.)
But I am weary of trying “Gluten-Free” because I have had bad experiences with that. But with summer around the corner, I will be pulling out a lot of ingredients to make those frozen meals. (some of which I just might “can” as well.

So, if you want to have a few new recipes to add to your family favorites, you might want to give this a try. Because even though I am weary of trying some, some just look too good to pass up!!

Directly for the book, I think my family might really enjoy it:
Pizza Casserole

Servings: 3-4
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 4-5 hours
Ingredients:
1 box of gluten free spiral pasta, uncooked
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 lb. (~ 455 g) of lean ground turkey
1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
½ cup of water
2 cups of gluten free pasta or pizza sauce (preferably homemade)
1 cup of pepperoni or bacon
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
½ can of pitted olives

Method of preparation:
1) Prepare the meal by browning the turkey with the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Once browned, transfer to fridge to cool immediately.
2) Once cooled, transfer the turkey mixture to a sturdy zip lock bag and add the pasta or pizza sauce, olives and pepperoni to the turkey mixture and freeze.
3) Thaw the bag of turkey when ready to cook and tip the turkey mixture to a greased slow cooker. Add boiled pasta and the water to the beef mixture. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Cook covered on low for 4-5 hours.

Freezing instructions:
1) The cooked turkey mixture should be thoroughly cooled in the refrigerator before freezing.

Thawing instructions:
1) Place the bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours to thaw the turkey mixture.
Goodman, Annette (2014-07-27). Fast Freezer Meals: 46 Delicious and Quick Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Recipes for Make-Ahead Meals That Will Save Your Time and Improve Your Health (Weight Loss Plan Series) (p.84 - 85).  . Kindle Edition.
(Yes, if I do make this you will be able to find it under my Pinterest Board Recipes We Have Tried & my opinion of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment