Thursday, May 28, 2015

OverDrive ~ Online Library


I found this by chance. My favorite library had a business card:
 “ENJOY eBooks & audiobooks on your computer, phone, tablet or iPad”


So, I pulled it up on the computer & fell in love. I registered thought my library, but then later found I could also link it to my FB, and have a wider access to other libraries (that I am a member of).
Now, keeping that in mind, I wish that they could link the military libraries to the public libraries … but sadly they don’t. SO … keep that in mind.

To use other libraries, you will need your library information. (I am looking all over for one of my library cards now, one that I use when I am visiting my dad)
But wishing I kept my other library cards from the states I have lived in … LOL the life of the military family (now retired).

This online Library has Ebooks (Kindle & eBook format … but check for other options I have found a Nook app for it), Audiobooks, plus Videos.
You are given a “checkout limit” & “hold limit” (6 for civilian & 10 for military). You can have the option to save the titles for books you want to read under the “wish list.” You can, also, recommend titles for your library (“Your library can limit how many titles you're allowed to recommend in a given period of time, so if you've hit your limit, just wait a few days, then try again.”). Of course, they will have a list of titles they will recommend for you.
You can rate the books you have read too. From 1 start to 5 stars. For those of you who use GoodReads, you might find this helpful. But they don’t give you the option to do a review on the book, which you can through GoodReads.

They have a “Book Club Picks” … some of the books look interesting but I have not found my favorite type of books on there. (Oh well ..) But that is just the beginning of the lists they provide.
Through the OK Virtual Library, they have “Congressman Tom Cole’s Reading List” … yippy for him to have his own special list, but I am sure there are people who will be interested in it. (Yes, I looked at the list. He’s got JRR Tolkien on it)
Another of my libraries has “Hot off the ePress” containing 1547 options. (No, I only looked at a few, or my wish list would have been though the roof!)
”Lost in the Stacks” has 10647 options to choose from. As much as I don’t care for lists, this one has a wide option of materials. (Oh how I miss this library … but large cities just do that to you)

Get you butts over to OverDrive, set up your account. Find your libraries. Complete your profile, this helps them complete the “Recommended for You” list. (Hey you might find some decent options on it)


OH … it does have an app option. (sorry almost forgot)

No comments:

Post a Comment